Minoring in English

A minor is an officially-recognized cluster of coursework elected in a department other than one’s Major department. The minor provides official transcript recognition of a supplementary scholarly interest, a pattern of courses pursued in addition to the structured program of your major.

Minors serve several purposes. For many students, a minor imposes some useful structure upon the task of choosing elective courses in a favorite subject. For others, a minor ensures that the transcript will show a mature diversity of academic pursuits. Some students feel that a minor field will signal something to prospective employers about their skills and interests. Others find themselves majoring in a field that isn’t their first love, and the minor helps ease the discomfort of such a choice. After all, hundreds of students who are not English majors routinely take English courses each semester. Indeed, most of our 2000-level or above courses are open to any university student who has passed freshman English.

By electing the English minor you can give shape and substance to an interest in literature or writing. Our minor program has been designed to ensure some historical coverage of both English and American literature; beyond that, the choice of courses is up to you. Students who wish to complete a minor in English must take at least 15 credits (earning a grade of C or better) of English courses at the 2000-level or above including:

1. At least one of ENGL 2100 or ENGL 2101

2. At least one of ENGL 2200 or 2201/W  or 2203/W : the Writing Intensive “W” option is not required for the minor

3. Any three other English courses at the 2000-level or above, with the following exceptions: 2011, 3010W, 3091, 3693, and 3800.

The minor may be declared online at anytime.

In order to receive the minor, you must file an official minor plan of study through Student Admin during the first four weeks of your last semester. http://studentadmin.uconn.edu/help/students/final-plan-of-study/

The sample minor plan of study is for planning purposes only.

Please contact Inda Watrous, inda.watrous@uconn.edu with any questions.